Thursday, October 1, 2015

My Humorous Monologue


MeredithC_Comedy from Kapaa Middle School MEDIA on Vimeo.

From my comedy project, I have learned many things. First of all, I learned how to use a certain kind
of camera. I used it to help film my classmate doing his comedic monologue. Mainly, I learned about writing and presenting comedy. It was honestly a bit harder than I thought, but it was quite fun. The hardest part was finding a good subject to write about. What I learned from the writing, though, is to go over my monologue multiple times, joke by joke, and try to make each one  as funny as possible. I also learned about timing while I was filming my comedic monologue. I learned not to fly through each joke really fast, and to have a rhythm to your delivery. I am also currently learning more and more about using iMovie, which I think is pretty fun. One of the most important things I learned about in filming comedy is called pad. I'll tell you about that next. OR WILL I? ( Cue dramatic sound effects). YES. I WILL.

Pad is a very important part of filming anything. It is used as a precaution for clips that are either too short in the end, or cut off, (basically meaning to short), in the begging. Adding pad to your clips is actually very easy and simple. To add pad to your clips, you start a few seconds before the thing you want to film happens, and wait a few seconds after it's happened. In my GT class, we have been adding pad by starting filming, saying "rolling", then saying "three, two, one, action." At the the end, we just wait a few seconds before we stop filming. After we import the clips, we can trim out the pad, or leave some in if it the clips are too long or short. Basically, by doing absolutely nothing for a few seconds before and after you start filming, you are adding pad.

Here is my joke plan for the making of my video.

Now don't you go off thinking "oh, I'm going to make myself a video just like that kid Callum, and it'll just take me one day!" No. That's not how it works. It had many challenges, and I'll describe some of those now, along with some other things. I think the biggest challenge was editing it in Imovie. That's because I didn't have much time to do it because of a misunderstanding, but once I was able to edit, I had to hurry, and it was difficult. I had never used Imovie before, so it  was difficult, but I learned a lot. The easiest part, though, was writing the actual script. That part was very fun, and it was something I had hoped we got to do in school for years. The only hard part of that was picking a subject to write about, then I just went to work and had fun. I do think that there could be improvements, however. I think that I could have had more stable videos, (although some shots were deliberately shaky), and clearer audio. The audio is a bit unclear because I filmed outside, but I think it is okay. In class, we watched each others finished videos, and graded them based on a curriculum that we had. Below are my grade results from the other kids. The chart is a little uneven, though, so you need to look at the numbers and grades to your left of the green bars. As you can see, I did pretty well, and I'm very glad I got the results I did. CHIAO!


No comments:

Post a Comment