Friday, September 18, 2015

Comedy Writing

Having a good sense of humor is a very important character trait in comedy. If you don't have a good and certain sense of humor, you just won't really be funny. What I mean by certain is you should have a certain theme to each skit you make. For example, you wouldn't want to have a dry, dull sense of humor then start jumping around, yelling, and acting very expressive at the end of your act. Your sense of humor is part of your act, so if people see you going from dry to expressive humor it won't be as fun to watch. I actually prefer dry humor than any other kind. Although if you are going to present with that type of humor, the jokes need to be really good, so if you are a new comedian, it would be good to be at least a bit expressive. In my GT class at school, I have been working on a comedy routine, and I have been sticking with the dry humor theme, and it's been lots of fun. I do dry humor partially because I prefer watching comedians do it to expressive and crazy humor, but also because when I am doing expressive humor, it is no fun for me. Believe me, I tried. But the jokes just aren't funny for me when I'm doing expressive humor. I'm not sure why, but it just feels unnatural and not funny. Anyway, I'll stop ranting about not being able to do expressive humor, and I'll give you some tips on writing a funny narrative!

One very important thing in comedy writing is picking your audience. For example, you would not want to tell jokes saying bikers are annoying at a biker group. You also would not want to tell sexist jokes against women at an all women group. Another tip is that you should review your work and modify the scripts for each performance. That means you should go over your script sentence by sentence multiple times. Explore every aspect of each joke, and think about what would make it funnier. An extremely important part of comedy is presentation. You should practice your routine multiple times before actually performing. That way you have something called delivery. Delivery is the way you present your jokes, like what words you put the emphases on, and your body language. However insignificant it may seem, delivery is a very important part of comedy. Another thing to keep in mind is the amount of jokes, and the build up. Smaller, less funny jokes should have less build up than the bigger, harder hitting jokes. The harder hitting jokes should be fewer than the little ones and well spaced. The biggest laugh, though, should be at the end. That helps end the whole performance with a bang. The last tip I'm going to give you is to return often to one subject throughout the whole routine, especially in the last, biggest joke. It is good to pick a common subject that everyone will know about, such as Pop Tarts, bowling, or going to the dentist. If you pick an uncommon subject, it is more likely that people won't get the jokes. I hope those tips help you with creating a comedy skit! If you want to, that is. Maybe you don't like comedy. That would be lame. But it's possible. You probably wouldn't have read this far if you didn't, but it's still possible.

I believe my comedic monologue is funny for multiple reasons. For starters, a school cafeteria is a very common thing, and it is easy to work with, so I did not have a very hard time making my monologue. A stereotypical school cafeteria has very bad food, so I made that part of my monologue. Overall, I think it is funny mostly because it is relatable, especially for kids. Also, it talks about stuff that isn't made up, which I think makes it better. Although some parts are not necessarily true, it is still about realistic things. Those are the main reasons I think it is funny. It is simple, dry, realistic, and relatable. Thanks for reading, and goodbye! ( Until my next blog).


No comments:

Post a Comment