Friday, January 29, 2016

Hockney Style Joiners

My most recent project in class is making photomontages. Photomontages, also called joiners, are are a style of photography in which you take a bunch of photos of one thing, and put them together to make it complete.  For example, you could take a bunch of pictures of a tree, moving left to right and up and down, then print them or use a computer program to place them next to each other in rows, almost always overlapping a bit. The reason for  this is  you can use it to see a much wider view of something than if you were the one actually there, looking at it in the physical world. This is called a panorama.You can also add your own touches to the final result, like having certain parts be tilted, or repeating certain photos.  My class is using Photoshop to put them together. A man named David Hockney is very famous for his art, especially his photomontages. David Hockney's are a bit different to mine though. For example, sometimes Hockney would use no overlap, but I use overlap. Mine also had strict requirements. In Photoshop, we we had to make the opacity of the final product 60 to 80 percent. We also had to give it a certain colored background with evenly cropped edges so there isn't to much or too little space around the photomontage. The last requirement was to use a customizable effect called curves. Hockney did not have any of the requirements, and I'm guessing that is part of what made it enjoyable for him.

Images can send positive or negative messages. When I take pictures, most of the time I try to send positive massages. Sometimes I create images that create a sad mood, but they don't normally present a specific negative message. Most of my pictures go on Instagram. I sometimes like to give pictures abstract colors, and those normally convey sad moods. I also like to give pictures a grunge look, which can send positive or negative messages. Darker colors normally convey less positive moods, and lighter colors with brighter light normally create more positive moods.

I was assigned to create two photomontages in class, and it was certainly a challenge. One of them was of another student, and another one was supposed to be of something that is meaningful to us, and I chose skating as the subject, because it is very meaningful to me, and a big part of my life. My photomontage is supposed to send a positive message. It is, as you can see, of a miniramp (a small halfpipe) with a skateboard and a pair of skate shoes. I used only a single board and nobody in the picture to show how skating is individualistic, and you don't need a team for it. You don't need to rely on anybody else for anything, and you can have your own style, skating however you like. There's no coach to tell when to stop or when you're doing something wrong. I also used the crowded farmers market it the background to contrast the one board.



No comments:

Post a Comment